Update 10/25/13: We decided to NOT do surgery at this time. We feel his condition is NOT limiting his hands in any way. He has started to write/scribble appropriately. We are not convince that surgery is needed at all.

Update 7/10/12: We meet with the hand doctor and he suggested we wait till Calvin is 2 years old to correct the issue. So just shy of his 2nd birthday we will have this surgery. It is very scary and I really just place it in the back of my head in hopes that I will forget about it. Its a hard challenge that I have to face, as it won’t correct it self. Scroll down to read more about Calvin’s Trigger thumb.

We also got the suggestion to “try to straighten it” by splinting/messaging. Honestly the that route will not solve my sons issue. The cartilage that runs in the inside of his thumb is just not long enough to let his finger bend properly. We feel surgery is the best option at this point for him and has a more permanent effect then splinting. If we let it go too long we are afraid that he will fall and it will tear to a point where its considered reconstructive surgery. And that could just be messy, or it could just break it all together. COULD you Imagine the pain from that.

_____________________________________________

UPDATE 4/12: We have surgery scheduled for next month to correct the problem. We opted for surgery instead of a least invasive route. We feel in the long run, he will have less problems with it and he won’t accidentally make it worse.

I am one scared mother. Scared for the fact that this surgery  will require anesthesia to put him out. Most of the time its just a local but because we all know that he WONT sit still we need him out. This just scared me a tad bit too much.

Has your child ever had surgery before? What was it like when they came out of their induced coma?

Keep reading if you missed whats going on.

__________________________________________________

I noticed that my son had a thumb that didn’t completely straighten about a month ago. He  really can not straighten it past what you see in the above picture ( which is not him). That’s pretty much his “thumbs up.” We thought at first that is was just a cute deformity and did not feel the need to pursue the issue. We actually joke that cricked fingers runs in the family. But this really is no joke. It wasn’t until recently, Calvin started experiencing (what it looked like) pain in one of his thumb. I scheduled an apt with our prediction who immediately made us go get x-rays to make sure it wasn’t broken. Her diagnosis was a Trigger Thumb.

What is a Trigger Thumb : Trigger thumb refers to a thumb that clicks, catches or “locks” as the tip of the thumb moves from a bent to a straight position. No one knows exactly how common this condition is. Researchers estimate that trigger thumbs make up about 2 percent of all hand problems in growing children.

While often referred to as “congenital” trigger thumbs, many studies of newborns show that this problem does not appear at the time a child is born.

They’re caused when a fibrous band under which your child’s thumb tendon normally glides is too tight. This prevents an easy gliding motion and results in a swollen, inflamed tendon.

Click to enlarge

When the tendon becomes inflamed, it’s difficult (or impossible) for your child to fully extend his thumb.

So our next step is to meet with a orthopedic specialist.

I’m scared as shit to think that my kid will need surgery

Please send some prayers our way. We need them.

This entry was posted in anything baby, Parenting. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to My child can’t Straighten his thumb

1. Rach @ Mrs-Adventure says:

I’m SO SORRY to read this, sending prayers your way. Hope your little guy is okay and you can work with his thumb through therapy instead of surgery.

2. Jennifer says:

Sending prayers your way for all outcomes. Take care.

3. Nicole says:

And here I am thinking it’s the end of the world because the doctor said Anthony should be seen by Early Intervention for an evaluation for his speech. I’m so sorry, My thoughts are with you guys at this time. I hope all goes well with the little man.

• Janelle says:

Anything wrong with our kids hurts us! Thank you for your thoughts and I will keep your little in my prayers as well. There are a lot of great EI services out there, but you already know that!

4. momto8blog says:

The very first time I had a child who had surgery i was panicked! completely. And it was for removal of a tiny cyst on my sons eye. I wanted an appt with the dr, the surgeon and the anesthesiologist…I know better now and relax and follow the recommendations…the waiting is the worst part! the medical field is so advanced it is amazing. good luck!!

• Janelle says:

the waiting is the worst part. You are completely right about how far the advancements int he medical field have come. It is still hard to watch our kids suffer and be hurt and knowing the little bit of pain they are about to endure will, down the road be beneficial for them. I think the anesthesia is the worst part for me to have to do to my child. Good think my husband is our rock in the family, and doesn’t easily fall apart with that stuff. Thanks for putting me in check and giving me the big picture.

5. Glory says:

My son is going through the very same thing but only In his left thumb. He is 15 months and It all started last week. I noticed he couldnt straighten out his thumb. I took him In to see his pediatrician and did the xrays. With some massaging and some pressure I am able to get it to strighten out but he fights it so bad and It breaks my heart every time because he
    cries bloody murder. I also have to make it pop into place and he hates that. Eventually if I don’t pay attention to his thumb it will go back to staying bent so I always have to pop It in place.I’m waiting to speak to an orthopedic doctor in the mean time I want to put a splint on it it myself because I hate straightening his thumb and I feel like i might me doing more damage to the cartilage. I hope every thing goes well for your child. Will you please let me know the outcome.

• Janelle says:

We also got the suggestion to “try to straighten it” by splinting/messaging. Honestly the that route will not solve my sons issue. The cartilage that runs in the inside of his thumb is just not long enough to let his finger bend properly. We feel surgery is the best option at this point for him and has a more permanent effect then splinting. If we let it go too long we are afraid that he will fall and it will tear to a point where its considered reconstructive surgery. And that could just be messy, or it could just break it all together. COULD U Imagine the pain from that. EH. Today we are meeting with the hand specialist and tomorrow is his pre- opt apt. I will let you know how it goes.

6. Pingback: Top 10 Greatest posts of all time | Domestically Seasoned

7. Ann says:

Oh my gosh…that sounds painful for your son. That’s scary and challenging for a mom to deal with also! Hoping the outcome of surgery results in less pain and more mobility for his thumb. (Had never heard of this condition until reading your post this morning. So, I appreciate you explaining it so clearly and the impact it has on a child.)

8. Carrie R says:

Surgery is scary. My son had surgery on his kidney when he was not even 3 months old. We realized he had a blockage to one of his kidneys while I was still pregnant with him, and had known for a while that surgery was a possibility. But it didn’t really make it any easier when he had to have the surgery. It is so scary to hand your child over to doctors, and to allow them to put them under and work on them. Hang in there…

Sending thoughts & prayers that his surgery will go quickly and easily…

9. kt moxie says:

Thinking good thoughts for you and your son! Back when I was a sp. ed. teacher, I had a student who had a similar surgery done. Just FYI: we had to deal with him wanting to “fuss” with the wound area post-surgery (as kids will do). We were tempted to put an oven mitt on his hand for a couple of weeks! He also had to do a bunch of physical/occupational therapy post-surgery (which he hated!), but he did get more hand mobility in the end. :)

10. Patty A says:

That is very scary to think your child has to go through surgery. Sending prayers your way for a quick easy surgery and a speedy recovery.

11. E says:

Don’t worry about it.
    I’m 44 and both of my thumbs are exactly like this. They have never caused me any problem, pain or anything else. I actually didn’t even notice that my thumbs were any different than most other peoples’ until my mid twenties.
    I would also note that I am an excellent athlete with hand yee coordination in the top 5% I’m guessing. I tend to be better than anyone else I know in sports like darts and table tennis and golf…all of which require excellent finger, thumb, hand motor skills. I have also played basketball my entire life and have a much better than average shot percentage. In thinking about it, I believe that the stability provided for by a stiff thumb joint probably actually helps in each of these endeavors.
    So, I say, do not worry about it and in fact, I would prefer to leave it as is.

• Janelle says:

Thanks so much for commenting. I was just thinking about his thumbs the other day, and noticing not much a problem with his dexterity. We might just leave as is! Thanks again for sharing.

12. Power says:

did any body operated the thumb finger and what is the outcome,My daughter has the thumb drigger problem in both hands and in left hand it is critical,doctor suggest that it is a simple surgery ,anybody did the surgery, please give your valuable feedback and suggestion?
    Power recently posted…Halloween costumes for the boys. My Profile